Tuesday, December 4, 2012


"I was surprised to find the people at the desk waiting for me when I checked in for my first shift! They had a patient who was unaccompanied and really wanted a doula. At that time she was in very early labor and after we talked for a while we decided that I would go home and they would call me in when she was farther along. In the end I went in to accompany her at her C-section. I tried to stay focused on the mother's needs and out of the way as much as possible. So much of this is new to me, I wasn't sure if I was any help at all, but the postpartum visit the next day was very encouraging. I am amazed at how calm and brave this first-time mother was with each thing that happened, and I feel grateful she let me be part of her daughter's birth. I didn't get to help much at all with contractions and physical comfort measures, but maybe it was also important that a friend be next to her and witness whatever happened-- someone there just to be with her."