Saturday, December 8, 2012


"This was a great experience for me. The nurse was very welcoming and inclusive, and already had a great rapport with the new parents. Mom was in early labor when I arrived, so we were able to chat quite a bit. She was doing well when I arrived, and was able to get a little rest. I helped her with breathing, and normalizing what she was experiencing. When the nurses had a shift change, I was very happy to be there to offer continuity for the parents, as this is right when labor was starting to heat up. After the doctor broke her water, the contractions became very intense, and although mom had strongly wanted a pain-med free birth, she started asking about an epidural. Nurse, dad and I all pitched in to encourage and support her, and baby was born about an hour after that - without pain meds! The parents were very happy and proud, and they had worked hard! I was so thrilled to be there with them. I also got to help with breastfeeding a bit, and it was the first time I felt knowledgeable enough and comfortable to do so. It was pretty much an ideal experience for me, as I know I provided a benefit to them and they were thankful. I wish I could have visited them the next day, but the snowstorm kept me at home. I talked to mom briefly on the phone, so we got closure that way."