Thursday, December 6, 2012


"My first experience ever as a doula was with the UWMC Doula Care program. I was called in off the call list to support a young woman who voiced a desire for additional support. She had no previous knowledge of doulas, but our connection was immediate. I was called pretty far into her labor, and arrived when she was about 9cm. I helped her breathe, stay calm and supported. The patient's partner was there and seemed nervous about the process, so I was grateful to have been called in. Shortly after I arrived she was complete, and about 30 minutes of pushing later, in which the entire care team encouraged her to take her time and push slowly, a beautiful baby was born. I stayed for a while, and visited her afterward--she was so grateful for the experience and in love with her baby. I have been to a handful of births since then and out of them all, this experience made me realize that the simple presence of someone who is unconditionally focused on the laboring mother is so beneficial to creating a strong sense of support and comfort.  I will never forget that day, the immediacy of our connection, and this mother's vulnerability to ask for help and to so openly welcome a stranger so far into her birth process."